Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Crochet Delight

I've just discovered an artist whose work I love. Her name is Ani O'Neill.


I'm always drawn to materials that evoke childhood memories or that sensation of deja vu. In my work, my use of wallpaper and textile patterns is meant to spark a flow of memories, and pattern recognition seems to facilitate this sensation for me. Ani's crochet pieces caught my eye because they remind me of my friend Aili's work which also incorporates crochet:

I love Aili's use of the little crochet discs, as they feel so nostalgic and remind me of my grandmother's home. Aili's currently having a show at Raid Projects in L.A. If you're in the area you should check it out! Here are some photos of her installation:


3 Comments:

Blogger brownie said...

Have you ever seen Mike Kelley's stuffed animal sculptures? They elicit the same kind of nostalgia in me, but he's sewn them in massive lumps and dangles them from the ceiling-- a little orgy of cute bears and whatnot hanging like christmas ornaments. It's innocent and disturbing at the same time. I love it!

3:20 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

oh sorry, that deleted comment was me. it wasn't anything mean (unlike mr. bridges), i just noticed a spelling error that i had to correct and then it got published by blogger and okay, i'll shut up now.

3:24 PM  
Blogger pbcb la said...

thanks for the rec Josie, I'll check out Mike Kelley's work!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home