Sunday, August 06, 2006

Rauschenberg & Hesse at MOCA

We saw a great show today at the MOCA downtown. I highly recommend it if your looking for some inspiration in your studio. The Rauschenberg show was really great, but even more inspiring to me was the Eva Hesse drawing and sculpture exhibit. She had these amazing graph drawings, they were so simple yet so effective. Her graphs evolved into these scuptures that reminded me of a telephone switchboard:

The wall-piece above has inspired some ideas for me of possibly weaving different color thread around nails either in wood or straight onto the wall. Her drawings/paintings on paper were also really beautiful:

I also liked these paintings by Lecia Dole-Recio:

Although I found them to be much more striking from a distance than they were up close. I was surprised to find they are mixed media cutout collages made with cardboard, butcher paper and other basic materials. Up close they lose the painterly elegance that caught my eye at first glimpse.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blogging Masterclass said...

I love the bottom image of Lecia Dole-Recio's painting, it's fresh, lively, gorgeous!

Holly

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Caro, and I saw that show. It was so inspiring, I got about a week's worth of work done in two days. I loved Hesse's work. I couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it before. But you see, though I paint somewhat seriously, I make my living writing software for CG artists. I loved Hesse's work. I came out of MOCA at the end of the day, and explained to my godson that "the way you know you've been to a really good show is that your actual vision is changed." If you remember what the architectural landscape around MOCA, you can imagine how entranced I was. It turns out that I was already suffering from an unusual form of cataracts, which made me blind a few months later, but enhanced my vision at first. I had eye surgery and see quite well now, thank goodness. But I'll always wonder if my perception of Hesse's beautiful work was just a function of the cataracts. I'd really like to see some of it again. I tried to buy some prints at the museum shop, but they didn't have any.

Regards,
Caro

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home